Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Holistic Nutrition. ,

When I first started doing my "Mommy Blog" someone asked me about how I got turned onto holistic nutrition and how they should start. I realize most of you will be all blah, organic food, gross. But we're all subject to our own opinions. I for one enjoy the new lifestyle I have created for myself. While Scott isn't exactly a fan and tends to do as he pleases, Mason and I eat organically and I also used to make baby food for Mason which I'll be sure to blog about as well later on. Here are a list of things to eat and not to eat

What To Eat;;
  • Drink adequate amounts of purified water. At least 8 eight ounce glasses a day.
  • Choose organic food. Avoid pesticides, herbicides, genetically modified foods, and irradiated foods. 
  • Choose whole grain foods. They carry more nutrition and fiber.
  • Try to buy locally grown.
  • Fatty acids are necessary for good health. Eat good fats in moderation but don't avoid fat all together. 
  • Eat raw and minimally processed whole living food. Foods in their natural state contain more nutrients and active enzymes. 
  • Eat a variety of nutrient-rich foods. 
What To Avoid;;
  • Eliminate refined sugars, high fructose corn syrup, and artificial sweeteners. 
  • Limit your salt intake to no more than 2300 mg a day
  • Coffee and soda. 
  • Trans fat.
  • Don't microwave food or beverages.
  • Food additives such as artificial colors, flavors, preservatives, and MSG.
  • Genetically Modified Foods
I also deal with a lot of herbs now as well (no, not pot) There are 5 herbs you should look into if you're looking into losing weight. They are; Ginger, Wheat Grass, Cayenne, Bitter Orange, and Green Tea Leaves.
Cayenne as long as being good for weight loss is also good for better blood circulation, blood pressure, ect.

Hope these few tips help. Happy eating everyone!

2 comments:

  1. OmG!!! kourtney! My sincerest thank you for making this blog/post! I have been wanting to hear about this! This is really inspiring. It's a lifestyle I would like to really do for myself and my son. So your tips have been so helpful! Do you have any books or websites you use as resource for your own nutrition and Mason's meals? Thank again for opening yourself to us and sharing some of your views and experiences. This is going to. Wonderful year for you! Warm regards!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a few websites I go to for some ideas for Mason;
    Weelicious.com
    Natural-Family.com
    Organic.org

    yummyinmytummy.com also has a few ideas for babies, toddlers, and adults.

    For myself I use;
    rachelsorganic.co.uk/recipes
    http://www.lifeorganic.com.au/recipes.html
    There's also a blog I found that has great recipes
    http://coconutandquinoa.wordpress.com/

    I'll be posting on my mommy blog soon about toddlers meals and making your own baby food. I'll let you know when I publish it :) Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete